[Nut-upsuser] NUT with Cyber Power 700 AVR

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Wed Feb 24 11:37:50 UTC 2010

Citeren Thomas Jensen <tom.jensen op digitaltoolbox-inc.com>:

> server:# /usr/local/ups/bin/powerpanel -DDD -a server
> Network UPS Tools - CyberPower text/binary protocol UPS driver 0.25
> (2.4.3)
> Warning: This is an experimental driver.
> Some features may not function correctly.
>
>    0.000000     debug level is '3'
>    0.014816     Trying binary protocol...
>    0.222802     send: (2 bytes) => 46 0d
>    0.678827     read: timeout
>    0.782803     send: (2 bytes) => 46 0d
>    1.238833     read: timeout
>    1.342822     send: (2 bytes) => 46 0d
>    1.798838     read: timeout
>    1.822848     Trying text protocol...
>    1.926817     send: (2 bytes) => 0d 0d
>    2.282857     read: timeout
>    2.438895     send: (3 bytes) => 50 34 0d
>    2.794898     read: timeout
>    2.950842     send: (3 bytes) => 50 34 0d
>    3.306846     read: timeout
>    3.462844     send: (3 bytes) => 50 34 0d
>    3.818850     read: timeout
>    3.830840     CyberPower UPS not found on /dev/ttyS0
>
> I don't know if it helps at all or not.

It does help. At least we know it is not a permissions problem and
that the driver is attempting to detect the UPS. Sadly, it failed. So
most likely, your UPS is behaving differently from what we expect (any
combination of baudrate, serial control lines and/or characters used
for detection).

> I did install the CyberPower
> software for Linux on the machine last night.  I thought this would help
> verify if the UPS was communicating with my machine on the serial port.  I
> was able to issue commands and get status from the UPS.  I therefore
> assumed that both the port and the UPS were working correctly.  I think the
> following confirms that.
>
> server:# lsof /dev/ttyS0
> COMMAND    PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE NODE NAME
> pwrstatd 20687 root    4u   CHR   4,64      1365 /dev/ttyS0
>
> Any additional help would be appreciated.

Well, what you could try to do is to capture the communication between
the software provided by CyberPower and the UPS. On Windows, this can
be done via PortMon

     http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896644.aspx

This can probably also be done under Linux, but I don't know how.
Posting a 10 second log after startup is usually enough to get a rough
idea if it is possible to support the device.

Note that CyberPower has been less than helpful in the past, so if NUT
support is important to you, it is probably better to switch to a
vendor with a better track record when it comes to supporting NUT.
Without vendor support, I feel little urge to invest a lot of (unpaid)
time to see what we should do to support them.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list