[Nut-upsuser] Network UPS Tools 2.4.3 - compile on RHEL5

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Thu Feb 25 13:11:20 UTC 2010

Hi guys!

I'm desperately trying to update the package we ship at RPMForge and
bump NUT from v2.4.1 to v2.4.3. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be an
easy task by any means.

I was first trying to use ./configure which is bundled with NUT. It
didn't work, because the following check was introduced in
nut-2.4.3/m4/nut_check_libgd.m4 for some reason:

AC_SEARCH_LIBS(gdImagePng, gd, [], [nut_have_libgd=no])

and it always fail no matter whether GD is installed or not (in fact, it
is installed and previous checks report that the headers are there and
usable).

I removed this check and did

autoreconf -vfi

but it needs newer autoconf that comes with RHEL. Fine, I did it with
2.63 installed in /usr/local. Now ./configure works fine, but if fails
to compile on the clean machine with the following message:

if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../include    -I../include -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --para
        then mv -f ".deps/common.Tpo" ".deps/common.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/common.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../include    -I../include -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --para
        then mv -f ".deps/state.Tpo" ".deps/state.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/state.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../include    -I../include -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector --para
        then mv -f ".deps/upsconf.Tpo" ".deps/upsconf.Po"; else rm -f ".deps/upsconf.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
if /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../include    -I../include -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOU
        then mv -f ".deps/parseconf.Tpo" ".deps/parseconf.Plo"; else rm -f ".deps/parseconf.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
../libtool: line 813: X--tag=CC: command not found
../libtool: line 846: libtool: ignoring unknown tag : command not found
../libtool: line 813: X--mode=compile: command not found
../libtool: line 979: *** Warning: inferring the mode of operation is deprecated.: command not found
../libtool: line 980: *** Future versions of Libtool will require --mode=MODE be specified.: command not found
../libtool: line 1123: Xgcc: command not found
../libtool: line 1123: X-DHAVE_CONFIG_H: command not found
../libtool: line 1123: X-I.: command not found
../libtool: line 1123: X-I.: command not found
../libtool: line 1123: X-I../include: No such file or directory
../libtool: line 1123: X-I../include: No such file or directory
../libtool: line 1123: X-O2: command not found
../libtool: line 1123: X-g: command not found
../libtool: line 1123: X-pipe: command not found
../libtool: line 1123: X-Wall: command not found
../libtool: line 1123: X-Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2: command not found
../libtool: line 1123: X-fexceptions: command not found
../libtool: line 1123: X-fstack-protector: command not found

OK, it seems that it needs re-libtoolizing with native libtool, because
libtool is to old:

[zyv at servinet nut-2.4.3]$ libtoolize --force --copy
You should update your `aclocal.m4' by running aclocal.

Fine, I run aclocal and relibtoolize. This time is says nothing, but
compilation gives the same error as above.

Now I'm stuck! Please help.

P.S. Also, I'm getting the following warning:

configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-linux-hiddev

Does anybody have a clue what happened to this option?

Thanks!

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev