[Nut-upsuser] My previous post (lengthy, lots of tarace output)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 03:28:11 UTC 2010

On Thursday 31 December 2009, Gene Heskett wrote:
Update after another day recuperating, including watching The Mountaineers
hand Bobby Bowden a final win to end his career with, in the Sugar Bowl.

1. By moving the ups's data cable from an external hub to a direct to the
motherboard socket, the lockouts and reports of another process, un-named,
interfering with usbhid-ups have disappeared.  Totally.

2.  The init.d/ups script starts the correct usbhid-ups driver with upsdrvctl
but outputs a FAIL even though htop can see it running with the "-a myups"
argument.  I finally figured out how to configure the fedora's
/etc/sysconfig/ups file so that all that works as expected (I think it is
anyway)

3. A final tweak in the upsd.conf enabling the 'master' setting, and upsmon
also seems happy and it is no longer spamming the messages log.

Now, how do I get it to display the status, in a terminal screen, gui from a
menu, or in firefox, the statistics it is outputting?  I ask because on the
nut web pages, both links under this section of the docs:
-------------------------
Web-based monitoring

    * Comes stock with CGI-based web interface tools for UPS monitoring and
management, including graphical status displays.

    * Custom status web pages may be generated with the CGI programs, since
they use templates to create the pages. This allows you to have status pages
which fit the look and feel of the rest of your site.
----------------------
Are 404's.

If I feed upsstats.cgi (or either of the other 2 .cgi scripts) all firefox
wants to do is download them rather than displaying them.  Then if I feed the
file upsstats.html to FF, it displays the file with color backgrounds on a
per column basis, but no data.

I put a screen snapshot of that at
<http://gene.homelinux.net:85/gene/pix/upsstats-firefox.jpg>
for your perusal.

Any more ideas that can be thrown my way would be encouraging.

And 4th, should I bugzilla the usb stacks inability to share a cable to a hub
without making a mess of it?

And finally, many thanks for your patience so far.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

It is not enough to have great qualities, we should also have the
management of them.
		-- La Rochefoucauld