[Nut-upsuser] My previous post (lengthy, lots of trace output)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 15:24:33 UTC 2010

On Saturday 02 January 2010, Jesper Klit Jensen wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Here are what I have done (I may be special):
>I created a directory in my /srv/www/nut/ where I moved all the web nut
>stuff into
>I created the nut.conf in /etc/apache2/conf.d

Here that is /etc/httpd/conf.d

>Content of the nut.conf
><<BEGIN>>
>ScriptAlias /nut/cgi-bin /srv/www/nut/cgi-bin
>
><Directory /srv/www/nut/cgi-bin>
>    SSLRequireSSL
>    Options ExecCGI
>    AllowOverride None
>    Order deny,allow
>    Deny from all
>    Allow from 127.0.0.1
>    allow from 10.240.120.0/24
>    allow from 10.240.140.0/24
>    allow from 10.240.150.0/24
>    allow from 10.240.160.0/24
></Directory>
>
>Alias /nut /srv/www/nut/htdocs
>
><Directory /srv/www/nut/htdocs>
>    SSLRequireSSL
>    Options ExecCGI
>    AllowOverride None
>    Options None
>    order deny,allow
>    deny from all
>    allow from 127.0.0.1
>    allow from 10.240.120.0/24
>    allow from 10.240.140.0/24
>    allow from 10.240.150.0/24
>    allow from 10.240.160.0/24
></Directory>
><<END>>

And httpd didn't like the <<BEGIN>>,<<END>> labels tossing error exits at me
till they were commented out.  And obviously I changed the addresses to my
local network, all behind an x86 based dd-wrt firewall.

>Files in /srv/www/nut/
>./cgi-bin/upsset.cgi
>./cgi-bin/upsimage.cgi
>./cgi-bin/upsstats.cgi
>./cgi-bin/.htaccess
>./htdocs/header.html
>./htdocs/bottom.html
>./htdocs/index.html
>./htdocs/nut-banner.png
>
>Hope that this helps. You can just remove the SSL part. I is just me......

A little paranoia is a good thing. ;-)

>Good luck
>
>Jesper
>
>On 1/1/2010 23:22, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Friday 01 January 2010, Jesper Klit Jensen wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Regarding the web part the challenge is on your web server. You need to
>>> enable the exec-cgi for the location of the cgi scripts.
>>
>> And where the heck is that?  FF-3.5.8  IIRC.  I just rescanned both the

[...]

I have set up a /var/www/nut tree as described above, still with the SSL, but
if I include the <<BEGIN>>, <<END>> constructions in
/etc/httpd/conf.d/nut.conf, restarting httpd (apache) barfs.  Complains they
are unterminated.  Is this a fedora-ism?, it (httpd) is happy if those two
lines are commented out.

In FF, open a file at file:///var/www/nut/cgi-bin/upsstats-single.html
and I get the dataless display I showed before, but the SSL locked icon isn't
there either.

Am I opening the wrong file?

And a new problem stuck up its hand, palm forward when I rebooted.  Now one
of the hald-addon daemons has an air tight lock on /dev/hiddev0 and the
driver can't start, no permissions.

And because the system only reports the 1st 15 chars of the process's name,
and lsof barfs if you ask for more,  I have no idea which of the
/usr/sbin/hald-addon* pieces to nuke.  And if I kill its process number,
usbhid-ups still can't start.  Getting a long trace ending in:

Device matches
failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
permitted
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
permitted
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
permitted
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
failed to claim USB device: could not claim interface 0: Operation not
permitted
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device: could not detach kernel
driver from interface 0: Operation not permitted
Can't claim USB device [050d:0751]: could not detach kernel driver from
interface 0: Operation not permitted

[root at coyote conf.d]# ls -l /dev/hiddev0
crw-rw-r-- 1 root nut 180, 0 2010-01-03 22:01 /dev/hiddev0

Ideas?  Or something you've not encountered?

Thank you very much for your assistance, Jesper.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

You love peace.