[Nut-upsuser] New problem, new thread (I think)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 19:22:56 UTC 2010

On Monday 04 January 2010, Charles Lepple wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 4:12 AM, Arjen de Korte <nut+users at de-korte.org>
wrote:
>> Citeren Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at gmail.com>:
>>> Well, /etc/hal/fdi is now empty, and because I'd killed hald, I had to
>>> reboot
>>> with the reset button, no keyboard or mouse, but the above condition
>>> remains,
>>> and the nut driver is dead again for the same reason, it cannot take
>>> possession of /dev/hiddev0 because according to htop, hald-addon-hid-ups
>>> is
>>> listening to /dev/hiddev0 and running as root.
>>>
>>> Ideas about this?  Anybody?
>>
>> Add --without-hal on the configure command line. Apparently, you used
>> --with-all=auto. See 'docs/nut-hal.txt' for more info on the HAL enabled
>> drivers.
>
>Actually, if it is "hald-addon-hid-ups" and not
>"hald-addon-usbhid-ups", then that probably came from the upstream HAL
>project, not from NUT. (I don't really know what the recommended
>procedure is there, since most of my Linux boxes are command-line
>only.)
>
>Gene: do I understand correctly that this is Mandriva 2010?

It could be Charles, but this install is on (hd0), aka a fedora 10 install.
And I'm at the point where I'm trying to find all the gotcha's.  I have it
working again, but had to nuke every hald-addon-usbhid-ups file on the system
to do it, and I have to start that driver directly by its name, upsdrvctl is
failing in the startup scripts.  Once I get it here, moving to mandriva x64
should be a matter of copying the src tree, doing a make clean and a
reconfigure/build/install.  (says he, ever the optimist)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

If God is perfect, why did He create discontinuous functions?