[Nut-upsuser] Old fashion UPS monitoring

Kjell Claesson kjell.claesson at epost.tidanet.se
Thu Mar 18 20:40:49 UTC 2010

> Hello!
Hello,

> I have a box that monitors the surrounding environment and sends a signal
> to a debian machine when it is time to shut down, according to the
> developers of the box it uses and old standard of UPS signaling. It is
> super simple, it just changes the DCD status to high when it is time to
> shut down.
> Has anybody heard of this kind of signaling, i have googled without
> success. But maybe someone on this list can help me sort thit out?

Yes, this is sometimes called contact-closure. NUT have a driver
named 'genericups' for this.

Many ups'es use this. The may have a 'smart' protocol that gives some info
like load and voltage, but also a contact-closure setup.

If you read the man page for the genericups you get a hint how to set this up.

/Kjell