[Nut-upsuser] still no nut at reboot

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 18:58:44 UTC 2010

On Saturday, November 13, 2010 01:26:16 pm Charles Lepple did opine:

> On Nov 13, 2010, at 11:47 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > That file is currently, and I believe pursuant to the install
> > instructions:
> > [root at coyote init.d]# ls -l /usr/local/ups/etc/ups.conf
> > -rw-r----- 1 root nut 95 2010-11-06 12:54 /usr/local/ups/etc/ups.conf
> >
> > What do I do to the perms etc so that this file is readable, both
> > now, and
> > during the bootup when I enable a link to it from /etc/rc5.d?
>
> Does the mandriva script have the same assumptions about the NUT
> username? Also, is the "nut" user part of the "nut" group?

$NUTUSER in that script is 'gene'  aka me.  This is set by the scripts
parsing of /usr/local/ups/etc/upsmon.conf.  I have fixed a few other
problems in it by adding local vars for $DRIVERPATH and such.  It is
attached.  I have made some small progress with some of the other errors
until I believe this is the final one.

I also have not attempted as yet to port the corresponding upsmon script,
nor do I have a working /etc/shutdown.  That was pointed out when I walked
back in the house yesterday morning to discover that the slow beeps were
from the ups as everything in here was running on it, so I did a shutdown -
h now.  It was long enough that a similar ups in the shop also ran out, but
no apparent damages otherwise except the proper rebooting of another
machine that doesn't have a ups on it.

> Also, is this the distribution you are using? http://www.pclinuxos.com/

Yes, all uptodate a/o last night except for tar-1.24 which breaks amanda (I
think, I will retest tonight.  I play the canary for amanda as the
snapshots are released, have for years)

I printed the INSTALL file, and have now been through it from square one,
checking things off as I go, restarting at step 6 at least a dozen times
now, getting the no perms thing at step 8, 9 or 10.

From /etc/passwd:
[root at coyote Documents]# grep ups /etc/passwd
ups:x:479:415:system user for nut:/var/state/ups:/bin/false
izzat ^^^^^^ ?? I've done that by hand & may have it screwed up

from /etc/group:
[root at coyote Documents]# grep nut /etc/group
nut:x:415:ups

Thanks Charles.

--
Cheers, Gene