[Nut-upsuser] How to shut down the running usbhid-ups driver and start with -DDD option?

Niels Kristian Jensen nkj at internetgruppen.dk
Thu Nov 18 21:31:22 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Well, I must be missing something so obvious, that it isn't even in
the documentation: How to stop all instances of a driver.

I tried this on my system, since I use the usbhid-ups:

nkj at grisen:~$ ps ax | grep usbhid
   238 ?        S      0:00 [usbhid_resumer]
  1035 ?        Ss    37:14 /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -a PingvinUPS
24223 pts/0    S+     0:00 grep usbhid

I would not dare to use "kill" on neither the usbhid_resumer nor the
usbhid-ups with the system running in a remote location.

/lib/nut/usbhid-ups -h gives no clue about how to shut down, the "-k"
option probably would shut down the UPS, not the driver.

So I searched the mail archives using keywords:

"error sending control message"
"libusb_get_report"

If some useful answer came up, I failed to find it.

Searching with google:

libusb_get_report site:www.networkupstools.org
and
debug site:www.networkupstools.org

Nothing here, either.

Can someone tell me how? Please be gentle, I feel like this should be
a simple task...

Best regards,
Niels Kristian Jensen