[Nut-upsuser] [Eaton ex-MGE Ellipse ASR] Disable automatic battery test

Arjen de Korte nut+users at de-korte.org
Tue Oct 12 08:09:35 UTC 2010

Citeren Arnaud Quette <aquette.dev op gmail.com>:

> the only thing I can see (apart from changing for a more feature full unit)
> is to lower the trigger level from 30 % to 20 % so that these tests do no
> result in a shutdown. If the software is still NUT, you can simply change
> the low battery level using "lowbatt=value" in ups.conf

Note that the above only works if you're using the 'mge-shut' or
'mge-utalk' drivers. If you're using the 'newmge-shut' or 'usbhid-ups'
driver, you might try if the UPS allows setting this value by using
'upsrw' to change the value of 'battery.charge.low'.

Having said that, a UPS that triggers a low-battery warning during a
weekly test is suspect of having a faulty battery. A weekly test runs
the UPS on battery for only a handful seconds (typically 5-10
seconds). If it can't keep up that long without triggering a
low-battery warning, it most certainly won't have enough capacity left
for a clean shutdown of the attached systems if the power really
fails. So either the battery is worn out or the load on the UPS is too
high.

Best regards, Arjen
--
Please keep list traffic on the list (off-list replies will be rejected)