[Nut-upsuser] HP R3000XR charge level

Brother Railgun of Reason alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu Sep 9 18:45:14 UTC 2010

This is not a NUT question per se ...  or at least, I don't think it is.
I just replaced the battery pack in my HP R3000XR; the new batteries
were shipped with 90% charge, were at about 87% when they went in, and
were up to 98% charge the next day.

Last weekend, the server that runs NUT went down for no apparent reason,
wiping out its boot blocks, corrupting its boot archive beyond repair,
and forcing an OS reinstall.  After reinstalling Solaris 10, NUT is now
reporting battery charge hovering between 40% and 42%.  This is
puzzling, considering that it initially reported full charge, the UPS is
only under about 40% load and, the power has not gone out.

babylon4:root:~:3 # upsc tokamak
ambient.temperature:   34.5
ambient.temperature.high: 55
battery.charge:  40.2
battery.runtime: 440
battery.voltage: 130.0
device.mfr: Eaton
device.model: COMPAQ UPS       2900i
device.serial: ÿÿMPAQ
device.type: ups
driver.name: bcmxcp
driver.parameter.baud_rate: 19200
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 2
driver.parameter.port: /dev/tty00
driver.version: 2.4.3
driver.version.internal: 0.23
input.current:   12.1
input.frequency:  59.8
input.frequency.high: 65
input.frequency.low: 55
input.frequency.nominal: 60
input.transfer.boost.high: 12
input.voltage:  119.5
input.voltage.nominal: 120
outlet.1.delay.shutdown: -1
outlet.1.delay.start: 1
outlet.1.id: 1
outlet.1.status: On
outlet.2.delay.shutdown: -1
outlet.2.delay.start: 2
outlet.2.id: 2
outlet.2.status: On
outlet.3.delay.shutdown: -1
outlet.3.delay.start: 3
outlet.3.id: 3
outlet.3.status: On
output.current:   10.3
output.current.nominal:   24.0
output.frequency:  59.8
output.phases: 1
output.voltage:  115.3
output.voltage.nominal: 120
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.firmware: Cont:01.01
ups.load:  41.4
ups.mfr: Eaton
ups.model: COMPAQ UPS       2900i
ups.power: 1191.5
ups.power.nominal: 2900
ups.serial: ÿÿMPAQ
ups.status: OL

Does anyone with more experience with NUT or with this UPS model than I
know whether there's any kind of calibration I need to do after
replacing the battery pack, or have any idea why the UPS would have
suddenly dropped to around 40% charge after several days, with brand new
batteries, and just stay there?  The battery pack voltage is nominal, so
I can't very well have had one of the new cells fail unexpectedly.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.