[Nut-upsuser] Getting "Error: No such host" and [ERR ACCESS-DENIED]

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Thu Sep 30 14:16:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, 30 Sep 2010, Charles Lepple wrote:

>> rprice at glacon2:~> upsc -l
>> Eaton-66781
>> rprice at glacon2:~> upsc -L `upsc -l`
>> Error: No such host
>
> The "-l" and "-L" options can be considered the "short" and "long" versions
> of the "list UPSes" option (where the long version also shows the description
> from ups.conf).
>
> If I understand correctly, your second command line should be: upsc `upsc -l`
> (although this won't work if you add a second UPS).

Sorry, I misread the man page for upsc.  I went back, re-read it and
then typed

rprice at glacon2:~> upsc -l
Eaton-66781
rprice at glacon2:~> upsc -L
Eaton-66781: Eaton Ellipse ASR 1500 USBS
rprice at glacon2:~> upsc `upsc -l` battery.charge
100

which is correct.

>> On system startup I get the following messages in /var/log/messages
>> upsmon[23711]: Startup successful
>> upsmon[23712]: Login on UPS [Eaton-66781 at localhost] failed - got
>>                [ERR ACCESS-DENIED]
>
> Your upsd user and password in upsmon.conf (on the MONITOR line) need to
> match an appropriately privileged user in upsd.users.

My upsmon.conf MONITOR line is

MONITOR Eaton-66781 at localhost 1 upsmaster sekret master

and upsd.users says

[upsmaster]
 	password = sekret
 	upsmon master

so the user and password match.  Is this enough to be "appropriately
privileged", or do I need more?

Roger