[Nut-upsuser] Confusing Generic USB UPS cannot be matched

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 08:50:46 UTC 2011

2011/12/2 R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org>:
> On 12/01/2011 05:31 PM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>>
>> 2011/12/1 R. G. Newbury<newbury at mandamus.org>:
>>>
>>> On 11/30/2011 04:08 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
>

> <snip>
>

>> it's always a bad idea to not copy the list!
>

> Well one of my pet peeves is seeing messages on the list which redundantly
> repeat again the entire redundantly repeated prior message, to merely add a
> couple of lines of response.
>
> And my response contained masses of generally useless-to-anyone-else data,
> which you wished to see, I presume to parse for any errors I might have
> made..
>

>>> ATTR{idVendor}=="0001", ATTR{idProduct}=="0000", MODE="664",
>>> GROUP="@RUN_AS_GROUP@"
>>

>> if this is the actual file on your system
>> ({/etc,/lib}/udev/rules/...), @RUN_AS_GROUP@ MUST be replaced by the
>> actual value of the nut group.
>> for you "nutty"
>

> Hah! I see you did what I do: namely, respond before reading to the end of
> the message...Fixed later, as you noted there.

support answer in lightning mode (I really don't have much time for
this currently...)

>>> ***************************
>>> /etc/ups/upsmon.conf
>>> RUN_AS_USER nutty at localhost
>>> MONITOR nexxtech at localhost 1 nutty at localhost  ***pass master
>>

>> the user should be 'nutty' without hostname, ie:
>> MONITOR nexxtech at localhost 1 nutty  ***pass master
>>
>>> # USER  nutty and GROUP  nutty are valid users on the system
>>

>> don't be fooled by system Vs NUT users.
>> the ones in upsmon.conf are references to upsd.users.
>> the same goes for upsrw and upscmd
>

> Unfortinately I have tried this both with and without the hostname and it
> makes no difference. There were about 5 reboot tries not recounted.
>
> I created system user accounts in order to avoid permission problems (and
> selinux is disabled!)

my remark was that these were the exact same name.
system level enforcement is a good thing.

try this in upsd.users:

       [nutty]
               password = nuttypass
               actions = set
               instcmds = all

       [nutmon]
               password = nutmonpass
               upsmon master

then use 'nutmon' (and its modified password) in upsmon.conf.
and nutty for upsrw and upscmd...

NOTE: you will need to restart NUT!

>>> [   13.505774] generic-usb 0003:0001:0000.0003: hiddev97,hidraw2: USB HID
>>> v1.00 Device [MEC MEC0002] on usb-0000:00:06.0-4/input0
>>> [   44.492226] usb 4-4: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd blazer_usb rqt
>>> 128 rq 6 len 255 ret -110
>>> [   45.494192] usb 4-4: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd blazer_usb rqt
>>> 128 rq 6 len 255 ret -110
>

>>> And I am where I was.......Except we can see the usbfs error
>>> USBDEVFS_CONTROL .....
>>

>> it happens from time to time, no harm.
>

> It may be 'no harm' but it is clearly 'no cure'....
>
> Where can we go from here? I presume that this error message is actually
> output from 'usbfs', and it is unclear how that is triggered.

there is nothing we can do about that.

the other issue should be fixed with the above.

cheers,
Arnaud
--
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com