[Nut-upsuser] nut and eaton 3s over usb, lot of logs

bonecollector bonecollector at hot.ee
Thu Dec 15 15:00:02 UTC 2011

Hi,

>     Dec 12 13:49:31 my-server klogd: [11382.642584] uhci_hcd
>     0000:00:1d.1: reserve dev 2 ep81-INT, period 16, phase 8, 118 us
>     Dec 12 13:49:31 my-server klogd: [11382.894706] uhci_hcd
>     0000:00:1d.1: release dev 2 ep81-INT, period 16, phase 8, 118 us
>
> these messages from the kernel, related to USB interrupt (possibly
> timeout):
> we get data from the devices through explicit requests (polling) and
> interrupt. Interrupts are notifications generated by the device, upon
> data change, without requiring any explicit request.
>
> there is nothing we can do in NUT. The only thing for you would be to
> disable interrupt, by adding "pollonly" to your ups section in ups.conf:
>
> [Eaton3s]
>    driver = usbhid-ups
>    port = auto
>    pollonly
>    desc = "Serveri UPS"
>
> the should remove the above log message (if it's really related to
> timeout), but will decrease reactivity WRT status changes.
> Another option may be to look at the kernel logging level.

Thank you! Adding "pollonly" helped, and no more messages in logs.

Little question still stays - even if exclusive access is used, why so
many messages (there are lots of USB devices around nowdays, don't know
about exclusive access used to connect to them, but I have never seen
such logging before.).

Urmas