[Nut-upsuser] Tripp-Lite SMART1000LCD usbhid failed to claim USB device

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 04:56:47 UTC 2011

On Feb 13, 2011, at 8:32 PM, Rory Jaffe wrote:

> Trying to get a Tripp-Lite to work with nut--Ubuntu 10.10. I was
> getting the error message "unable to claim USB device", tried to
> unbind the drivers to that device, and had the following delightful
> experience. In short, continue to get the same problem, and the
> drivers bound themselves back.

The usbhid-ups driver should unbind the kernel HID interface as
necessary, but it needs write permission to the /dev/bus/usb/* node
which corresponds to the UPS.

Which version of NUT is this? Is it the set of .debs from Ubuntu, and
if so, what is the full version printed by dpkg/synaptic/aptitude?

If it is built from source, what options did you pass to the configure
script?