[Nut-upsuser] Tripp-Lite SMART1000LCD usbhid failed to claim USB device

Rory Jaffe rsjaffe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 06:13:22 UTC 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 7:18 PM, Rory Jaffe <rsjaffe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 14, 2011, at 12:05 AM, Rory Jaffe wrote:
>>
>>  I used the package that Ubuntu 10.10 provides. Here's the package info:
>>>
>>> rory at ubuntunas:~$ apt-cache showpkg nut
>>> Package: nut
>>> Versions:
>>> 2.4.3-1ubuntu5
>>> (/var/lib/apt/lists/us.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_maverick_main_binary-amd64_Packages)
>>> (/var/lib/dpkg/status)
>>>

>> Ah, I think I see the problem. We added the USB IDs for the (new)
>> SMART1000LCD to usbhid-ups after NUT 2.4.3 was released.
>>
>> You should be able to get basic functionality by adding the following two
>> lines to the middle of /lib/udev/rules.d/52-nut-usbups.rules:
>>
>> #  e.g. TrippLite Smart1000LCD  - usbhid-ups
>> ATTR{idVendor}=="09ae", ATTR{idProduct}=="2009", MODE="664",
>> GROUP="@RUN_AS_GROUP@"
>>
>> Note that you will need to replace the @RUN_AS_GROUP@ with the actual
>> group that appears on the other lines in that file. It's probably "nut" or
>> "ups", but I haven't tried 10.10 yet.
>>
>> The easiest way to get udev to reload this is to unplug the USB cable of
>> the UPS, and plug it back in.
>>
>> It does appear that the reported battery voltage might be off by a factor
>> of 10. That should already be fixed in NUT 2.6.0 and later. The "low
>> battery" signal is generated internally by the UPS, and should not be
>> affected.
>>
>> Feel free to post the output of "upsc" once the driver starts.
>>

> In addition to the upsc output, here's some information on available
commands, in case this is useful for someone...
rory at ubuntunas:~$ upsrw Tripp-Lite
[ups.delay.shutdown]
Interval to wait after shutdown with delay command (seconds)
Type: STRING
Value: 20

rory at ubuntunas:~$ upscmd -l Tripp-Lite
Instant commands supported on UPS [Tripp-Lite]:

beeper.disable - Disable the UPS beeper
beeper.enable - Enable the UPS beeper
beeper.mute - Temporarily mute the UPS beeper
beeper.off - Obsolete (use beeper.disable or beeper.mute)
beeper.on - Obsolete (use beeper.enable)
load.off - Turn off the load immediately
load.off.delay - Turn off the load with a delay (seconds)
reset.watchdog - Reset watchdog timer
shutdown.reboot - Shut down the load briefly while rebooting the UPS
shutdown.stop - Stop a shutdown in progress
test.battery.start.deep - Start a deep battery test
test.battery.start.quick - Start a quick battery test
test.battery.stop - Stop the battery test