[Nut-upsuser] Ubuntu server won't restart

Erik Hjertén erik at hjerten.com
Sun Feb 20 16:36:44 UTC 2011

Thanks Arjen, problem solved. Comments below.

Arjen de Korte skrev 2011-02-20 09:23:
> Citeren Erik Hjertén <erik at hjerten.com>:
>
>> I'm quite stuck now so any pointers on how to troubleshoot is most
>> appreciated.
>
> The first thing to check is whether or not the UPS receives the
> shutdown command. Power your system from an alternative source (this
> is important!) and run the command
>
>     /path/to/usbhid-ups -k -a UPS
>
> This signals the UPS to cycle the output (if mains is present) or
> shutdown the output and wait for the power to return (if not). Look at
> the console for messages that are displayed.
This worked as expected although it took about 60 sec for the UPS to
power off. The server had plenty of time to shutdown gracefully.

I examined the /etc/init.d/ups-monitor script (which is called from
/etc/init.d/halt) and I noticed a reference to a POWEROFF_WAIT statement
in /etc/default/nut. If present, the ups-monitor script waits the
specified amount of time for the UPS to power down. If it doesn't,
ups-monitor reboots the server.

So I added POWEROFF_WAIT = 75 and now everything seems to work fine.

Is this an "appropriate" way of solving this?

Again, thanks for your help!

Kind regards
/Erik