[Nut-upsuser] cross-compiling nut

Tilman Glotzner tilmanglotzner at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 22:33:05 UTC 2011

Hello Charles

> > I would like to run nut 2.6.1 on an embeeded machine ( arm9 )
> > running linux and uclibc. A working gcc tool chain came with the
> > board.
> > How can I compile and build nut using the cross compiler tool chain ?
>
> Is the toolchain self-hosted? That is, can you run gcc on the board
> itself? (IMHO that is usually the easiest way to cross-compile.)
no, it is a cross-compiler running on a linux-i386

> It's probably easiest to help you if you copy-and-paste some error
> messages that you are getting, because there are probably hundreds of
> ways to do this. But here's how to cross-compile NUT for Win32:

The cross compiler resides in /mnt/vol5/lcu1/buildroot/output/staging/usr/bin/ as arm-linux-gcc.

nut-2.6.1 # declare -x PATH="/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/mnt/vol5/lcu1/buildroot/output/staging/usr/bin/"

nut-2.6.1 # ./configure --host=arm-linux-gcc
configure: WARNING: if you wanted to set the --build type, don't use --host.
    If a cross compiler is detected then cross compile mode will be used
Network UPS Tools version 2.6.1
checking host system type... Invalid configuration `arm-linux-gcc': system `gcc' not recognized
configure: error: /bin/sh ./config.sub arm-linux-gcc failed

Any advise ?

Thanks Tilman