[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower usbhid-ups continuously disconnects/reconnects

nut at johnea.net nut at johnea.net
Thu Jun 16 19:20:48 UTC 2011

On 06/16/2011 10:51 AM, nut at johnea.net wrote:
> On 06/16/2011 04:15 AM, Charles Lepple wrote:
>> Is it consistently disconnecting every 20 seconds? That almost sounds like some
>> proprietary extension to the HID protocol - the UPS expects the computer to send
>> something that only the CyberPower software knows to send.

> In this light, the problem seems to be that the device may be temporarily
> unavailable at the moment the usbhid-ups driver attempts to connect, at boot time.

I'm in the lab now, I think I've confirmed this.

If I move the upsd startup to before the system's dhcp, it always connects to
the UPS at boot. If it's after the dhcp delay, then the UPS has dropped offline,
and the nut startup fails.

> If this is correct, it seems the 'fix' would be to build a small delay, and
> retry, into the initial connection code of the usbhid-ups driver. Before giving
> up on finding the device.
>
> Is this practical?

This startup retry would only need to affect the usbhid-ups CyberPower subdriver:

 -> Using subdriver: CyberPower HID 0.3