[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower usbhid-ups continuously disconnects/reconnects

nut at johnea.net nut at johnea.net
Fri Jun 17 21:57:38 UTC 2011

On 06/17/2011 12:31 AM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> 2011/6/16 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>
>
>> On Jun 15, 2011, at 5:40 PM, nut at johnea.net wrote:
>> (...)
>> Is it consistently disconnecting every 20 seconds? That almost sounds like
>> some proprietary extension to the HID protocol - the UPS expects the
>> computer to send something that only the CyberPower software knows to send.
>

> in this case, doing an usbsnoop run is the way to go:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2010-February/004528.html

It seems the usbhid-ups driver already knows how to make the UPS happy. Once the
driver has successfully connected to the UPS, the disconnect/reconnect cycle
stops and the UPS stays connected and communicating from then on.

It only misses connecting if the device is given enough time to disconnect
(presumably because it timed out after 20sec).

Unless the administrator can guarantee to _always_ connect to the device within
20sec of boot, the usbhid-ups needs to delay a second or two and then retry, 2
or 3 times, before giving up on finding the CyberPower subdriver based UPS.

> cheers,
> Arnaud

Thank You Arnaud!

p.s. I tried to make a patch for this, but it failed, attached for reference