[Nut-upsuser] CyberPower usbhid-ups continuously disconnects/reconnects

nut at johnea.net nut at johnea.net
Sun Jun 19 21:31:34 UTC 2011

On 06/18/2011 06:02 AM, Charles Lepple wrote:

> By the way, this is fairly broken behavior on the part of the UPS firmware.
> There are standards-compliant ways for a USB device to suspend after inactivity
> while still remaining connected to the bus.
>
> I don't know if this UPS has upgradeable firmware, but if it were mine, I'd let
> the manufacturer know.

I will pass this info on to CyberPower. I'm not sure if the firmware is
upgradable, I would guess not. Their HID models seem to all be cheaper consumer
oriented products.

To tell the truth, I really questioned if it was worth pursuing this issue. It
seemed pretty clear from the beginning that the whole problem was in some way
caused by the device (since other usb devices seem to work).

Since you correctly diagnosed the situation as being the device itself that
terminates the connection, it seemed to me that the only real benefit to be
gained was to improve the ability, of linux-usb and nut, to deal with such
misbehaving hardware.

So this is why I've continued to pursue this instead of just throwing these
units in the trash and buying something that works (really, it's not just to
badger you guys 8-)

> What if you add the loop in the script that starts the driver (through
> upsdrvctl)? That might be easier to prototype.

I tried to do this, but failed again. I tried to loop on the execv for the
forked child process, in forkexec() called from start_driver(). There's probably
a better place to locate the loop, but I haven't found it yet. (patch attached
for reference)

Thanks for your support!

johnea