[Nut-upsuser] Problems with upscmd ACCESS-DENIED

Garðar Arnarsson gardar at giraffi.net
Thu Mar 10 01:51:27 UTC 2011

I'm trying to execute some commands on my ups, but I keep getting ERR
ACCESS-DENIED

upscmd -l sinus
Instant commands supported on UPS [sinus]:

beeper.toggle - Toggle the UPS beeper
load.off - Turn off the load immediately
load.on - Turn on the load immediately
shutdown.return - Turn off the load and return when power is back
shutdown.stayoff - Turn off the load and remain off
shutdown.stop - Stop a shutdown in progress
test.battery.start - Start a battery test
test.battery.start.deep - Start a deep battery test
test.battery.start.quick - Start a quick battery test
test.battery.stop - Stop the battery test

An example:

upscmd sinus test.battery.start.quick
Username (root): gardar
Password:
Unexpected response from upsd: ERR ACCESS-DENIED

I have defined the user in the /etc/ups/upsd.users

 74 [gardar]
 75         password = hidden
 76         allowfrom = local
 77         actions = SET