[Nut-upsuser] Problems with usbhid-ups and CyberPower CP1500 on 2.6.0

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 01:19:13 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 5:02 PM, Cheetah <fastcat at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/15/2011 6:22, Charles Lepple wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 14, 2011, at 1:20 AM, Cheetah wrote:
>>
>>> If I run it under strace, the ioctls on the /dev/bus/usb file descriptor
>>> preceeding each "operation not permitted" error return 0, not an error code
>>> such as EPERM.
>>
>> That seems strange. Would you please compress and send the strace output
>> (without "-u root")?
>
> Attached.

Looks like Ubuntu fixed 2.4.3 here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nut/+bug/572262

That was committed to NUT here:

http://trac.networkupstools.org/projects/nut/changeset/2407

This breaks reading larger reports, so it was reverted:

http://trac.networkupstools.org/projects/nut/changeset/2719

This patch (committed after 2.6.0 was released) claims to restore
2.4.1 behavior:

http://trac.networkupstools.org/projects/nut/changeset/2893

Arjen: do we actually have any cases of reports larger than 8 bytes?
If so, should we mark this as a quirk for CyberPower devices? Also, it
seems like we need to distinguish between returning 0 and <0 from the
libusb call. Currently, we are reading errno when a zero-length packet
is being read.

--
- Charles Lepple