[Nut-upsuser] Problems with usbhid-ups and CyberPower CP1500 on 2.6.0

Cheetah fastcat at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 16:44:57 UTC 2011

On 3/17/2011 12:17, Arjen de Korte wrote:
>> This patch (committed after 2.6.0 was released) claims to restore
>> 2.4.1 behavior:
>>
>> http://trac.networkupstools.org/projects/nut/changeset/2893
>
> All of the above are irrelevant here. The driver runs fine when started as
> root, so this must be a permissions problem.
The original problem that r2407 addressed (which I also experienced)
manifested similarly, in that running as root it would work, running as
non-root it would not.  I don't know enough about usb/libusb to have any
clue why that would be, but it was.

So I tried applying the diff from r2893 to the Debian nut 2.6.0-1 source
package and building that, and lo and behold it now works as non-root!
Also, when running as root before, it spat out a lot of warnings while
fetching the reports, now it spits out none.  While I didn't really
understand the warnings before, I'd assume that not generating them is a
sign of things working better.

Given that there doesn't seem to have been a new release of libusb0 in
something like four or five years, then if this really does need to be fixed
at the libusb level, I suspect the first thing that will have to happen is
nut moving to libusb1.