[Nut-upsuser] Socomec UPS

Greg Trounson gregt at maths.otago.ac.nz
Sun Nov 6 21:54:33 UTC 2011

Hi, and thank you for the help so far.  See my responses below.

On 05/11/11 12:17, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> 2011/11/4 Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com <mailto:clepple at gmail.com>>
>
>     On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 12:23 AM, Greg Trounson
>     <gregt at maths.otago.ac.nz <mailto:gregt at maths.otago.ac.nz>> wrote:
>     > These Socomec units have RS-232 connectors and claim to support JBUS.
>     > On the nut compatibility page I only see one Socomec model listed and
>     > it's a different one.  Incidentally, do the colours in the Driver
>     column
>     > on that page mean anything?  I don't see a legend anywhere.
>
>     I thought there was a legend next to the filter section, which isn't
>     showing up on my web browser either.
>

> oh, right. thanks for bringing my attention on this.
>
>     red: protocol based on reverse engineering
>     orange: based on fragments of publicly available protocol
>     yellow: based on publicly available protocol
>     blue: vendor provided protocol
>     green: vendor provided protocol and hardware
>
>     Arnaud: is someone working on this page?

Ah, that makes sense now.  I had initially thought red might have meant
something like "not working" or "poorly supported".

> /me.
> since Seb (Volle) has resigned from Eaton, I'm alone on this point.
> and since I've not much javascript knowledges, it's hard to debug...
> for a reason I don't yet know, the legend is there, initially hidden,
> but the nut_jquery.js script that shows it seems not loaded.
> I'm working on it, but since I'll be tripping back from Orlando (UDS), I
> won't probably be able to solve it before next week.
>

>     > Does anyone know what if these are likely to work with nut?
>
>     There are no references to JBUS in the driver code, so either the
>     protocol is known under a different name, or it isn't likely to work.
>

> I also missed that part in my answer:
> JBus is a Modbus variant, used by industrial automation, through serial
> and ethernet
> I wanted to write a driver for long, but the lack of users need (and
> time) got the final word.

I was a bit worried when I could find very little about JBus outside the
world of Socomec other than that it was, as you say, a variant of Modbus.

> that said, Eaton sells a JBus / Modbus network card:
> http://download.mgeops.com/emb/htm/66102e.htm
>
> Could you please elaborate on your exact needs Greg?

I am looking for a UPS to cater for a rack of servers that collectively
may draw up to 2kVA.  To allow for decent headroom (and usually
accompanied with higher battery capacity) I would favour a 3kVA UPS.
Due to the power in our building being somewhat "dirty" due to motors,
fluorescent lights, etc, some kind of line conditioning is required,
either through a full "online" UPS or active filtering, preferably the
former.

The rack will be populated predominantly with Linux servers, and I want
to be able to use one of these to query the UPS about its status
(battery charge, load, etc).  Once I have that I can integrate it via
bash scripts into an automated warning system.

thanks,
Greg