[Nut-upsuser] Differences between USB and serial on an MGE Pulsar Evolution 3000

Neil A. Hillard neil at dana.org.uk
Thu Oct 6 15:05:23 UTC 2011

Hi Arnaud,

Many thanks for your quick reply.

>> Unfortunately there appears to be a lot of parameters missing from the
>> serial driver (using mge-shut) when compared to the USB driver (usbhid-ups)
>> and more importantly, output.voltage.nominal is reported at 72 Volts instead
>> of the correct 230 Volts.
<snip>

> I won't go in depth, but this is a known point:

Many thanks for the pointer.  Don't know how I managed to miss that
during my searching but that details my experiences, too.

> This is also why I've developed the 'newmge-shut' driver, which shares
> a lot of code with the usbhid-ups one.
> FYI, SHUT stands for Serial HID UPS Transfer, which is basically HID
> (as in USB, so the same data) but over a serial link.
>
> the newmge-shut take over has been postponed for some time, but it's
> only due to a lack of time and formal testing, more than issues with
> this driver. And mge-shut is not really maintained anymore...
>
> could you please test again with newmge-shut, and report back?

I actually noticed newmge-shut just after I sent my original message so
I've got the upsc output handy (listed below).  I've highlighted the
values that differ from the USB output (with an asterisk) and I've
spotted that there are a few parameters missing:

input.frequency.extended
input.frequency.nominal
input.voltage.extended
ups.beeper.status
ups.test.result

If there's anything I can do to help get these added or perform some
more testing then please let me know.

Many thanks once again,

Neil.

newmge-shut output