[Nut-upsuser] Newbie question: real-time power usage monitoring?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 22:54:44 UTC 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 8:46 AM, Christian Convey wrote:

> I don't care how much about the latency between when the power meter
> computes a result, and when it's available to my Linux box.  But I
> *do* care a lot about the precision of the time sampling in the
> report.

NUT itself does not include timestamps in the output. When you query
upsd, you are receiving data that can be up to [pollinterval] seconds
old (plus any serial/USB transaction latency), which isn't a problem
for basic status monitoring related to UPS health. Your application
sounds like it needs at least one or more orders of magnitude more
precision than what NUT can offer right now.

You could certainly modify the code to add that timestamp, but as
mentioned elsewhere in this thread, you'd need supported equipment as
well.