[Nut-upsuser] Possible support for Trust 1300VA LCD Management UPS?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 20:33:06 UTC 2011

>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 4:11 AM, David Quinn <d_a_quinn at yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>> On 6 Sep 2011, at 14:14, Charles Lepple wrote:
>>>
>>> David: I use Fink instead of MacPorts, so I'm not sure how they
>>> handle
>>> libusb. NUT uses the 0.1 API, but that can either be provided by
>>> libusb-0.1.x (currently 0.1.12) or by the compatibility layer of
>>> libusb-1.0.
>>> Can you check on that version number?
>>>
>>> Also, OS X has the concept of security contexts, and I think that
>>> USB
>>> devices are "owned" by processes in the console context. Are you
>>> starting
>>> the NUT driver from a console context (e.g. Terminal.app while
>>> logged in),
>>> versus from a SSH session?
>>>
>>> Charles, thank you for your reply. My developer skills are beyond
>>> rusty and
>>> i'm new to the osx environment, but I hope I can answer your
>>> questions
>>> correctly.
>>> First off, here is everything macports knows about usb:
>>> usbprog                        @0.1.8          cross/usbprog
>>> libusb                         @1.0.8          devel/libusb
>>> libusb-compat                  @0.1.3          devel/libusb-compat
>>> libusb-devel                   @1.0.8.20101017 devel/libusb-devel
>>> libusb-legacy                  @0.1.12         devel/libusb-legacy
>>> usbmuxd                        @1.0.7          devel/usbmuxd
>>> py26-pyusb                     @0.4.2          python/py26-pyusb
>>> py26-pyusb-devel               @1.0.0-a1       python/py26-pyusb-
>>> devel
>>> py27-pyusb-devel               @1.0.0-a1       python/py27-pyusb-
>>> devel
>>> Secondly, I am executing everything via Terminal (I dont know how
>>> to ssh
>>> stuff to be honest).
>>> Hope that helps.
>>> Dave
>>
>> Hmm, you have both libusb-compat and libusb-legacy. Unfortunately,
>> that alone doesn't tell us what NUT is linked against.
>>
>> What does "otool -L <path-to-drivers>/blazer_usb" show? Not sure what
>> that path would be for MacPorts, but it's probably something under
>> /opt.
> Hi Charles, here is the output from otool as requested:
>
> /opt/local/bin/blazer_usb:
> 	/opt/local/lib/libusb-0.1.4.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0,
> current version 9.4.0)
> 	/opt/local/lib/libusb-1.0.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
> current version 1.0.0)
> 	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
> version 159.0.0)

David,

is there a way to check which package contains /opt/local/lib/
libusb-0.1.4.dylib? I'm thinking it should be libusb-legacy, but then
that means that the libusb-1.0.0 file shouldn't be there. Programs
should really only be linked against one version of libusb, and if
it's using the new version plus libusb-compat, I would think the
first .dylib would be named as such.

This might be a question for the MacPorts maintainer for that package.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail