[Nut-upsuser] APC SmartUPS 3000VA LCD not connecting

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 08:44:38 UTC 2012

Zach,

2012/2/3 Zach La Celle <lacelle at roboticresearch.com>:
> We recently had to replace an old APC SmartUPS 3000 with a newer 3000VA (the
> 2U one).  It has both serial and USB in the back (with an RJ-45 on the end
> of the serial cable).
>
> I can't get the apcsmart driver to connect.  I figured it should work the
> exact same as the old UPS, with /dev/ttyS0 as the port (I'm using the same
> port on the server that the last one was plugged into).  I even tried the
> USB driver (usbhid-ups) using the port=auto, but it complained about
> unsupported UPS.
>
> Any ideas about connecting this new UPS?

apart from the good advice from George (Ross), we need the following
info to be able to help you (both need root privileges):

- the nut version used,
- the operating system, and version, you're running,
- drivers debug output:
$ /path/to/driver -DDDDD -a <devname>

- and for the USB side:
$ lsusb -v -d051d:<productID>

AFAICT, the serial protocol has changed (and is not published nor
reverse engineered), but USB should work (minus a possible missing
supported productID).

cheers,
Arnaud
--