[Nut-upsuser] No shutdown on empty battery

Gerhard Strangar g.s at arcor.de
Sat Jan 28 09:26:37 UTC 2012

Hello,

I set up a FreeBSD 8.2 system with nut 2.6.1 and a Powerware 5115
connected by RS-232. I expected this setup to shut down before running
out of battery power, but I either missed some important configuration
or something else went wrong:

The syslog says:
Jan  9 05:03:42 b1 upsmon[67752]: UPS upsb1 at localhost on battery
Jan  9 05:04:42 b1 upsmon[67752]: UPS upsb1 at localhost on line power
Jan  9 05:15:47 b1 upsmon[67752]: UPS upsb1 at localhost on battery
Jan  9 05:18:22 b1 upsmon[67752]: UPS upsb1 at localhost on line power
Jan  9 05:28:07 b1 upsmon[67752]: UPS upsb1 at localhost on battery
Jan  9 05:28:47 b1 upsmon[67752]: UPS upsb1 at localhost on line power
Jan  9 05:37:07 b1 upsmon[67752]: UPS upsb1 at localhost on battery
Jan  9 06:15:19 b1 syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel

No other messages in between. I got similar messages on a Windows box
running LanSafe III, so the failure did get reported correctly. However,
the nut did not shut down the system.

My upsmon.conf is:
MONITOR upsb1 at localhost 1 upsmon suprpass master
MINSUPPLIES 1
SHUTDOWNCMD "init 0"
POLLFREQ 5
POLLFREQALERT 5
HOSTSYNC 15
DEADTIME 15
POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower
NOTIFYMSG ONLINE        "UPS %s on line power"
NOTIFYMSG ONBATT        "UPS %s on battery"
NOTIFYMSG LOWBATT       "UPS %s battery is low"
NOTIFYMSG FSD           "UPS %s: forced shutdown in progress"
NOTIFYMSG COMMOK        "Communications with UPS %s established"
NOTIFYMSG COMMBAD       "Communications with UPS %s lost"
NOTIFYMSG SHUTDOWN      "Auto logout and shutdown proceeding"
NOTIFYMSG REPLBATT      "UPS %s battery needs to be replaced"
NOTIFYMSG NOCOMM        "UPS %s is unavailable"
NOTIFYMSG NOPARENT      "upsmon parent process died - shutdown impossible"
NOTIFYFLAG ONLINE       SYSLOG
NOTIFYFLAG ONBATT       SYSLOG
NOTIFYFLAG LOWBATT      SYSLOG
NOTIFYFLAG FSD  SYSLOG
NOTIFYFLAG COMMOK       SYSLOG
NOTIFYFLAG COMMBAD      SYSLOG
NOTIFYFLAG SHUTDOWN     SYSLOG
NOTIFYFLAG REPLBATT     SYSLOG
NOTIFYFLAG NOCOMM       SYSLOG
NOTIFYFLAG NOPARENT     SYSLOG+WALL
RBWARNTIME 43200
NOCOMMWARNTIME 300
FINALDELAY 5

I thought about implementing something like running a script which shuts
down after running on battery for more than five minutes. But then it
might be neccessary to cancel the shutdown if the power failure gets
resolved. But in the scenario above, I guess my scripts might have
failed as well.
The bcmxcp driver does report remaining runtime. I don't how how
accurate it is, but the LS3 software allows to configure a shutdown time
required by OS. Can I configure nut to shut down a few minutes earlier?

battery.charge: 93
battery.runtime: 1693
battery.voltage: 12.71
device.mfr: Eaton