[Nut-upsuser] Fwd: Re Powercom Vanguard driver for nut

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 17:23:31 UTC 2012

resending to the list - got an error the first time.

From: Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Nut-upsuser] Re Powercom Vanguard driver for nut
Date: July 21, 2012 1:21:22 PM EDT
To: Gordon Longland <gordon at compsos.com.au>
Cc: nut-upsuser at lists.alioth.debian.org <nut-upsuser at lists.alioth.debian.org>

On Jul 21, 2012, at 7:52 AM, Gordon Longland wrote:

> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.2
> Starting UPS: UPS
> exec: /sbin/usbhid-ups -a UPS -u nut
> Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)

Support for this PowerCOM device appears to have been added in NUT 2.6.3 (according to the NEWS file).

> Jul 21 21:32:29 server upsd[3760]: Can't connect to UPS [UPS] (usbhid-ups-UPS): No such file or directory
> Jul 21 21:32:30 server upsmon[3764]: Poll UPS [UPS at localhost] failed - Driver not connected
> Jul 21 21:34:35 server upsmon[3764]: UPS UPS at localhost is unavailable
>
> Is there something simple we are missing? Why does it add the UPS stanza to the driver (usbhid-ups-UPS) name and then fail?

The name in square brackets is the name for that specific UPS instance in ups.conf, and the driver name (usbhid-ups) is prepended to form the name of the socket which the driver and 'upsd' use to communicate. If the driver hasn't started successfully, upsd can't find that socket.

> Is there a patch for the usbhid-ups driver to recognise the Vanguard series?

It might be possible to patch in support, but you can probably find a RPM build of a newer version of NUT, or you can try building it from source. Email us back if you have questions about either method.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail