[Nut-upsuser] MEC0003 protocol support

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 18:26:11 UTC 2012

2012/11/21 Walshe, John (DCOR) <John.Walshe at smithsdetection.com>

> Hi Folks,****
>
> I’m trying to use a ZIGOR Danubio 2000 ups with NUT on Debian squeeze
> (AMD64).****
>
> OS/NUT are all the latest official release (as of last week) with NUT
> installed from packages.****
>
> ** **
>
> As the usb descriptor presents MEC (and the Fry’s electronics) I chose to
> use the blazer_usb driver.****
>
> ** **
>
> All appears to work well excepting that the UPS does not appear to accept
> the shutdown instcmd to turn off the ups outputs at the end of the shutdown
> process. The UPS remains on until the batteries completely drain and it has
> to turn off to protect itself.****
>
> Apart from that, reporting, messaging, shutdown process etc  all works
> well.****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> On shutdown I can see ****
>
> instcmd: command [shutdown.stop] handled****
>
> instcmd: command [shutdown.return] handled****
>
> Shutting down in 30 seconds****
>
> Waiting for UPS to cut power.****
>
> Will now halt.****
>
> ** **
>
> The PC turns off put UPS stays running until batteries run out.****
>
> ** **
>
> So I can see that the driver issues the command and thinks that it is
> “handled”. Looking at it with higher debug level I can see that the driver
> reports a “USB no ACK” to these instcmds. Checking the USB with wireshark
> shows that this text string originated in the UPS, ie it is a text string
> returned in response to the instcmds.****
>
> ** **
>
> Looking closer at the USB descriptor it presents MEC0003 rather than the
> MEC0002 that I see all over the fora.****
>
> ** **
>
> So it would appear that there is a new variety of MEC protocol. ****
>
> Has anyone else seen this?****
>
> Is there any work ongoing with this MEC0003 protocol?****
>
> What can I do to help this cause? (bear in mind I’m a Linux newbie – but
> with good backup J )

could you please send back a driver output, debug level 5 (i.e -DDDDD),
including a shutdown.return command sent from upscmd.
note that, for this test, you should remove your system from the UPS, or
send directly a shutdown.stop afterward.

I'm also interested in the wireshark snoop.

cheers,
Arnaud
--
NUT (Network UPS Tools) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org