[Nut-upsuser] bcmxcp_usb can not communicate with Eaton Powerware 5110

Greg Vickers daehenoc at iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 2 09:45:04 UTC 2012

Hi Arnaud,

On 13/08/12 18:09, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> Hey Massimo and Greg,
>
> 2012/8/12 Massimo Gais <massimo.gais at iki.fi <mailto:massimo.gais at iki.fi>>
>
>     On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 5:11 AM, Greg Vickers
>     <daehenoc at iinet.net.au <mailto:daehenoc at iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>
>         I have not yet gotten rid of it, so thank you very much!  It's
>         a case of download, extract, apply patch, and compile on my
>         RPi, correct?
>

>     Hello Greg,
>     yes you can compile it directly on the RPI. See anyway that if you
>     have the old deb package installed and you want to replace only
>     the recompiled driver, you may have some mismatch with the
>     pidpath/statepath directories (/var/state/ups vs /var/run/nut). I
>     tried to make a debian package on the RPi, but it was requiring to
>     install all the documentation tools, and I did not have enough SD
>     disk space for that.

I have finally gotten around to compiling nut with the patch!  It was on
my list of things to do :)
> use the following configuration line to get back inline with deb
> directives:
>
> ./configure --prefix= --includedir=/usr/include
> --mandir=/usr/share/man --sysconfdir=/etc/nut --localstatedir=/var
> --without-ssl --with-cgi --with-dev --enable-static
> --with-statepath=/var/run/nut --with-altpidpath=/var/run/nut
> --with-drvpath=/lib/nut --with-cgipath=/usr/lib/cgi-bin/nut
> --with-htmlpath=/usr/share/nut/www --with-pidpath=/var/run/nut
> --datadir=/usr/share/nut --with-pkgconfig-dir=/usr/lib/pkgconfig
> --with-user=nut --with-group=nut --with-udev-dir=/lib/udev --without-doc
I saw that 'compile usb drivers = no' was set, and added --with-usb to
get bcmxcp_usb to compile.
> you may also want to disable a few more things, like CGI, by using
> "--without-cgi" for example...
> this will lower the dependencies barrier.
The only packages I had to add were 'libgd2-xmp-dev' and 'libusb-dev'.

I've just tested it and it work great!  Thanks very much :)  The only
thing plugged into this UPS is the power supply for the RaspberryPi -
nut reports the load as 0.0% :)  I'm going to also plug in the 5-port
switch and ADSL modem/router, I expect to be online for some time when
there is a local power failure :D

Cheers,
Greg