[Nut-upsuser] NUT on openSUSE 12.3 requires additional systemd service unit

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Sun Aug 11 09:19:51 UTC 2013

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013, Charles Lepple wrote:

> I still haven't messed with systemd yet, so I am in over my head here.
> Is this similar to what Kjell posted about? Or is it in addition to
> that? http://www.kepstin.ca/blog/networkupstoolsnutandsystemd/

Calvin Walton (kepstin) discusses a complete management of all the NUT
processes using systemd and in doing so fixes a timing conflict in the
minimalist systemd support provided by Fedora; whereas my post addresses
the much narrower "bug fix" question of getting NUT to work on just one
version of openSUSE.  I do not address the question of full systemd
management of NUT processes.

systemd is gaining ground in the Linux world [See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd "Adoption"] and looks as if it is
here to stay.  The Linux distributions will slowly, one by one, get around
to probably minimalist systemd support for NUT. But the BSD world has not
accepted systemd, and this poses a problem for the management of projects
such as NUT which cater for Unix as well as Linux.
[http://lwn.net/Articles/452865/ "Debian debates systemd"] It seems to me
that although there is no immediate urgency, some experimentation might be
helpful in forming a clearer view of what is needed for NUT.

Roger