[Nut-upsuser] Plea for a more loquacious nut

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Thu Dec 5 09:55:39 UTC 2013

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013, Charles Lepple wrote:

> In principle, more logging sounds like a good idea. What syslog level
adjustments would you propose?

Hello Charles, I would like to increase the volume of logging to include
all OB/OL events at each nut component.  Maybe some OB/OL logging should
move to the right on the syslog scale (debug, info, notice, warning, err,
crit, alert, emerg) but the risk there is that with a typical syslog.conf
setup the messages either get lost or get walled.

An OB/OL event is comparable to a dhcpcd event and should be presented to
the logger with equal detail.

> Are you looking for:

  * more diagnostics depending on the value of err,
  * logging of all return codes, even success

or both?

Both. Essentially the logging of all return codes. More diagnostics would
be good to see.

> > 3. Replacing the upsmon NOTIFYFLAG "SYSLOG" by "NOSYSLOG".

> I suspect I am missing something here. The default upsmon.conf logs
everything to syslog (and wall) by default. Unless that part is broken
(and I confess I haven't thoroughly tested it recently), wouldn't the
defaults work without breaking existing installations? I agree that it
is better to err on the side of logging more information, but I don't
think we need to break the existing syntax to do that.

The idea is to make it evident by the choice of keyword that everything is
syslogged unless the sysadmin says otherwise.  Its cosmetic.  There is no
real change in function.  "SYSLOG" would be ignored, so old
configurations are not broken.

> If anything, I would want finer-grained control over the syslog level
for some of these events.

I agree completely.  Let nut tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing
but the truth, and syslog.conf will specify what the jury is to hear.

> Did you mean "If system(buf) succeeds, the tests block the success
message"?

Yes, that was my (weak) understanding of the C code.

> Code like the following should log something in all cases:

err =3D system(buf);
if (WIFEXITED(err)) {
 	if (WEXITSTATUS(err)) {
 		upslogx(LOG_INFO, "exec_cmd(%s) returned %d", buf,
WEXITSTATUS(err));
 	} else {
 		upslogx(LOG_DEBUG, "exec_cmd(%s) succeeded"); /* NEW */
 	}
} else {
 	if (WIFSIGNALED(err)) {
 		upslogx(LOG_WARNING, "exec_cmd(%s) terminated with
signal %d", buf, WTERMSIG(err));
 	} else {
 		upslogx(LOG_ERR, "Execute command failure: %s", buf);
 	}
}

Making such a clear distinction between the severities of each case will
make it easier to set up syslog.conf.  My personal preference would be for

  upslogx(LOG_DEBUG, "exec_cmd(%s) succeeded"); /* NEW */

to be LOG_INFO.

Roger