[Nut-upsuser] Generic UPS driver

Ariel Wainer ari at ariwainer.com.ar
Sun Dec 22 00:31:45 UTC 2013

On 20/12/13 21:22, Charles Lepple wrote:

> Maybe Dan, the maintainer of the nutdrv_qx driver, has better insight on this, but my uneducated guess is that I don't think it is Megatec/Qx. The logs don't show any commands going down to the UPS, just Interrupt Read requests to EP1IN.
>
> It definitely won't be covered by stock usbhid-ups either, although it does implement the bare minimum of the USB HID protocol. (The usbhid-ups driver expects USB HID PDC.)

I did try both blazer_usb and usb hid, neither one worked.

> What might be interesting is whether any of the bits vary when the UPS goes on battery, or when the battery gets low. You may want to plug in a dummy load, and power the computer from another UPS or the wall outlet, in order to fully characterize the protocol.
Ok, I did this, here is how it went (approximately):
t=0     power on the UPS, with some load.
t=2 min unplug the UPS from mains, alarm goes off.
t=33 min low battery alarm goes off.
t=35 min ups powers down.

As I was doing the test, I added load, to speed up the battery drain,
but  from the dumps I don't thing that's reported. The win software
tells very little about the status of the UPS.

This time, I added another capture point, a software running inside the
vm (usbsniff), in case for some reason commands sent to the ups where
missing.
Here are the results (the list would hold large messages):
http://www.ariwainer.com.ar/varios/ups/2013-12-21-usbmon-fullcycle.log
http://www.ariwainer.com.ar/varios/ups/2013-12-21-usbsniff-fullcycle.log
http://www.ariwainer.com.ar/varios/ups/2013-12-21-wireshark-fullcycle.pcapng
> Also important are the settings in the UPS monitoring software, such as timeouts, or behavior options for when the power returns. Those will probably show up as magic numbers later on.

I have this:
Shutdown delay on AC fail: 15 minutes.
Shutdown delay on low battery: 1 minute.
Warning message interval: 15 seconds.

Let me know if further tests or more info are needed.

Kind regards.

Ari.