[Nut-upsuser] Generic UPS driver

Ariel Wainer ari at ariwainer.com.ar
Fri Dec 27 02:40:13 UTC 2013

On 22/12/13 16:48, Charles Lepple wrote:

> Also, there is an Interrupt Out transfer at #4115/2154 (repeated at #4117) that sends a 0x01 down to the UPS. I assume it turns off at that point, or shortly thereafter?

Sorry for the the delay, If I remember correctly, that's what happened.
>> It looks simillar to the UPS implementation example from
>> http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/pdcv10.pdf
> Well... the first few pages of Appendix A are boilerplate USB descriptors. The report descriptor (A.6) is where things start to differ. Your UPS doesn't have Usage Page 0x84, 0x85 or 0x86 in its report descriptor - it only has 0xFFA0, which is in the vendor-specific range, and the two Usage fields are just 8-byte unstructured buffers (also with vendor-specific IDs).

It seems that its very poorly and implemented in a very non-standard
way. I mailed the reseller a few days ago, still no answer.
> It might be possible to tell usbhid-ups to match on the 0xFFA0 usage page, and ignore all of the other HID PDC definitions. I'll poke around the code.

Ok, let me know if you need anything else. I tryed the instructions at
http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/developer-guide.chunked/ar01s04.html
, but it didn't work. As a matter of fact, the generated C files did not
compile, they had garbage in the middle. Hand editing the sources to
make it compile resulted in a non-working driver anyway, probably
because of the not implemented usages.

Happy $HOLYDAY ;)