[Nut-upsuser] What current UPS can I buy?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 03:33:48 UTC 2013

On Jul 17, 2013, at 11:27 AM, Matt Ivie wrote:

> I'm really just looking for a UPS that might run a couple of small
> servers and other small devices(routers or switches).

Good call on including the network gear in the power budget. NUT isn't much use to the slave systems if the network connection between master and slave goes down.

> If I could get
> 15-30 minutes of runtime from the batts and o course run the automated
> shutdown and reboot sequence through nut that would be great. The server
> I'm looking at has a PSU capable of 200W but I don't expect to be maxing
> out the system capabilities at all. I'll be running either Debian
> Wheezy(most likely) or Trisquel 6.0 and I'd like to just use the
> pre-packaged version of NUT rather than building a new package if I can.

It doesn't look like I can just copy-and-paste the link to the exact result, but if you go to the UPS selector on the Eaton Power Quality page, they will recommend a few models:

   http://powerquality.eaton.com/

The NUT HCL spells out Powerware 9130/9140, but the Eaton pages refer to PW9130 and PW9140. Pretty sure they are the same unit with a different name.

Debian wheezy has NUT 2.6.4, which should cover most of the units that Eaton's selector would recommend.

You could also go with a Tripplite rack-mount UPS, but a lot of the low-end ones use a proprietary protocol that seems to change between model years.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail