[Nut-upsuser] NUT-HAL (for use with USB UPS's and Gnome)

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Fri Nov 22 18:32:42 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-20 6:20 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:

> No need to switch to serial if USB is working - there should be a nut-usb package or similar. You will probably have to remove nut-hal to install nut-usb. The nut+upsd+upsmon solution is mutually exclusive with nut-hal, but they use the same device-specific code, and it sounds like your device is compatible.

What yum shows me is: (this is on my NUT master server though just FYI)

> Installed Packages
> nut.x86_64                                                          2.6.5-2.el6                                                   @epel
> nut-cgi.x86_64                                                      2.6.5-2.el6                                                   @epel
> nut-client.x86_64                                                   2.6.5-2.el6                                                   @epel
> nut-devel.x86_64                                                    2.6.5-2.el6                                                   @epel
> Available Packages
> nut-client.i686                                                     2.6.5-2.el6                                                   epel
> nut-devel.i686                                                      2.6.5-2.el6                                                   epel
> nut-hal.x86_64                                                      2.6.5-2.el6                                                   epel
> nut-xml.x86_64                                                      2.6.5-2.el6                                                   epel

The usbhid-ups drivers are included with nut.x86_64

So I guess my only question is:

Will nut's UPS driver happily coexist with the GNOME's UPS "stuff"?
Or do I need to disable GNOME from sticking its fingers into NUT's control
of the UPS?

Thanks,

  -Ben