[Nut-upsuser] multiple identical UPS on same server

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 12:51:24 UTC 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 3:55 AM, Marcello Vezzelli
<m.vezzelli at e-works.it> wrote:
> I've found another strange issue that prevented me to test this solution.
> VMware ESXi is filtering out serial number information, together with
> iManufacturer and iProduct.

Is it a permissions issue? The NUT udev configuration file changes the
ownership and permissions to allow the NUT system user to write to the
UPS without root permissions, but it might also mean that you would
need to run lsusb as that user (or root).

Reading USB string descriptors requires sending a control message to
the USB device. Reading the device descriptor usually means getting a
cached copy from the kernel.