[Nut-upsuser] Do I need to configure times and percents?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 04:18:00 UTC 2014

On Nov 29, 2014, at 7:32 AM, Victor Porton <porton at narod.ru> wrote:

> On Debian Linux jessie:
>
> After buying an UPS and installation of nut-server and nut-client at my PC and configuring the ports and the protocol, do I need to adjust time and/or percentage parameters, to be sure my computer will be turned off automatically after a reasonable time after failing electricity?

I would recommend testing with a dummy load to see if the UPS operates as you expect it to.

In particular, there is no standard for a "reasonable time" for shutdown. In the default configuration, NUT's upsmon program shuts the system down after the UPS reports a low battery. Your UPS may or may not allow that threshold to be configured, so there are several other options if you want to shut down after a specific time on battery, or when other conditions are reached.

> My UPS is Advice PRS850.

You may want to check the list archives to see if anyone else has additional information on other UPS models from this manufacturer:

   http://www.networkupstools.org/support.html#_mailing_lists

It actually isn't on our hardware compatibility list:

   http://buildbot.networkupstools.org/~buildbot/cayman/docs/latest/stable-hcl.html

If you post additional details (output of upsc and upsrw) someone may be able to offer more specific suggestions.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail