[Nut-upsuser] Fwd: Powerware (Eaton) Prestige 9 UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 12:01:34 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tim Dawson <tadawson at tpcsvc.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:07 AM
Subject: Re: [Nut-upsuser] Powerware (Eaton) Prestige 9 UPS
To: Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com>

Charles -

As a quick followup, the Prestige (both FW 2.13 and 3.09 - 2.x is
pre-Eaton, 3.x post) reply to the topology block query thus:

   3.064046     send_command: (4 bytes) => ab 01 43 11
   3.136246     get_answer: (2 bytes) => 34 43

Unfortunately, this does not correspond to any of the defined topology
values in the spec, and the block size that was returned from block
0x01 was

2.410028     Length of topology block: 36864

for 2.13 firmware and

   2.518815     Length of topology block: 127

for 3.09, neither of which accurately is reflected in what is returned
when that block is queried.

I note the FW levels, since the last guy who I saw in searches who
asked about this unit basically got blown off and was told to get more
current firmware.  I don't think there is any . . . .

- Tim

On 02/12/2014 08:21 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:

> On Feb 2, 2014, at 4:40 PM, Tim Dawson wrote:
>
>> So, I made a change to bcmxcp_ser.c to handle block 0x43 a tad differently.  And after this, all works - the topology *IS* correctly detected, all meters and functions show, it's golden . . . It just appears that in the firmware on this thing, that the reply to query 0x43 is a bit odd, and the authors of the initial code took far too sever an error handling path.
>

> I'm not too familiar with the internals of this driver. What version of NUT is this based on, and can you post a "diff -u" from the original file?
>
>> "Gaff Tape can't fix 'Stupid', but it can muffle the sound..."
>

> ^ Love it.

Tim Dawson (tadawson at tpcsvc.com)                    Owner/Engineer
TPC Services                                        Bellnet: (972)-221-7385
Lewisville, Texas 75067
"Gaff Tape can't fix 'Stupid', but it can muffle the sound..."

--
- Charles Lepple