[Nut-upsuser] Emne: Eaton Powerware 5110 - some stats not reported

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 19:07:00 UTC 2014

On Feb 15, 2014, at 12:54 PM, Arnaud Quette wrote:

>> Hi
>
> Hi Alf,
>
>> On
>> http://nutwiki.kanonbra.com/wiki/Category:Eaton_Powerware_5110
>
> cool thing!
> But duplicating the NUT Device Dumps Library [1].
> The DDL can also serve both users and developers purposes, by providing these dumps as .dev files (usable with dummy-ups).
> I'm looking for someone to help me completing this effort: would you be interested in?
> It would mostly be collecting dumps posted on the lists and the web, and calling users to massively send theirs...

Arnaud,

here's the discussion that led to Alf's tests with MediaWiki:

http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=51D93E42.60500%40i100.no

(Note "Mike."'s mention of read/write variables, which are not addressed by upsc output alone.)

The way I see it, there are several use cases that overlap a bit:

* dummy-ups data files for debugging
* Answering the question "what variables do I get from this UPS with NUT vX.Y.Z?" (or, "what is the benefit of upgrading the driver from the distribution's old version?")
* Answering the question "what UPS should I buy to be able to monitor these variables?"

The thought was that tagging pages with something like MediaWiki categories could build up the cross-references needed to answer the second and third questions, but that might get unwieldy. With something like the DDL, it should be possible to programmatically generate those cross-reference lists.

Organizing the information in something like a wiki allows additional comments from users of the equipment. Of particular note is whether or not a given variable can be relied upon (which might depend on the NUT driver version, or even the UPS firmware version).

Unfortunately, it isn't clear what the best way forward would be. Shoe-horning the second and third use cases into MediaWiki would probably require a custom plugin.

Another set of useful metadata is the USB VID:PID, plus dumps from "lsusb". This overlaps nut-scanner a bit, but considering that lsusb is a much lighter-weight dependency than nut-scanner (and it's even in the FreeBSD ports tree now), it's a quick lookup for users to determine whether it is worth their time to try installing NUT.

> This however made me realize that it's still not referenced on the web and in the docs.

helps if you link it from somewhere :-)

update: I see you're working on that: https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/93

--
Charles Lepple