[Nut-upsuser] NUT Quit Working

Leslie Rhorer lrhorer at mygrande.net
Sat Sep 6 16:39:18 UTC 2014

Hello.

	I have had NUT working for several years on my servers.  Recently I
made changes to the main server, where the UPS is local, and now upsd
won't properly load there, which essentially disables the entire UPS
shutdown system.  I made a number of hardware and software changes,
including an upgrade to the latest software versions for that distro
(Debian Wheezy), although I did not upgrade to a new distro, and I did
not make any changes that should affect the UPS, unless NUT was one of
the packages automatically upgraded.  No changes were made to the UPS
hardware or the NUT configuration files.  When upsdrvctl runs, I get the
following:

RAID-Server:/RAID/Server-Main/Equipment/HighPoint Adapters# upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.6.4
Network UPS Tools - Tripp Lite OMNIVS / SMARTPRO driver 0.20 (2.6.4)
Warning: This is an experimental driver.
Some features may not function correctly.

Detected a UPS: unknown/unknown
libusb_set_report() returned 0 instead of 8
Error reading protocol
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

	lsusb reports:

Bus 007 Device 002: ID 09ae:0001 Tripp Lite
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               1.10
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0         8
   idVendor           0x09ae Tripp Lite
   idProduct          0x0001
   bcdDevice            0.01
   iManufacturer           1
   iProduct                2
   iSerial                 0
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength           34
     bNumInterfaces          1
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          0
     bmAttributes         0x80
       (Bus Powered)
     MaxPower               60mA
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
       bInterfaceSubClass      1 Boot Interface Subclass
       bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
       iInterface              0
         HID Device Descriptor:
           bLength                 9
           bDescriptorType        33
           bcdHID               1.00
           bCountryCode            0 Not supported
           bNumDescriptors         1
           bDescriptorType        34 Report
           wDescriptorLength      52
           Warning: incomplete report descriptor
           Report Descriptor: (length is 7)
             Item(Main  ): (null), data= [ 0x80 ] 128
             Item(reserved): (null), data= [ 0xfb ] 251
             Item(Main  ): (null), data=none
             Item(Main  ): (null), data=none
             Item(Main  ): (null), data=none
       Endpoint Descriptor: