[Nut-upsuser] TRIPPLITE OMNIVSINT80 Compatibility

Dave Williams dave at opensourcesolutions.co.uk
Fri Sep 26 07:48:49 UTC 2014

On 22:17, Thu 25 Sep 14, Charles Lepple wrote:

> I think the OMNIVS800 protocol 2012 entry came from Tripp Lite test results. (There have definitely been naming collisions in the past; hence, the messages in the drivers if you accidentally choose the wrong one.)
>
> Confusingly, if the USB ProductID is 0001, the Tripp Lite specific "Protocol" number (shown in "ups.firmware.aux") is probably not 0001. But if the ProductID is greater than 0001, the ProductID and Protocol should match.

Your messages in the driver helped me when I initially chose the wrong
one and got the usual "Driver Not Connected" error!"

> > OMNIVS1000 USB (older; product ID: 0001) is shown correctly so maybe
> > the OMNIVSING800 just needs to be added to the list next to it.
>
> Will do.
Thanks

> You're right, we have a "magic constant" in the "input.voltage" and "output.voltage" calculations for your protocol.
>
> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/drivers/tripplite_usb.c#L1240
>
> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/drivers/tripplite_usb.c#L1360

Yes I found that conversation.

> For some reason that made sense at the time, the "ups.debug.*" variables in tripplite_usb actually start printing from value+1 (I suppose because v_value[0] is always 'V'). So the input.voltage.nominal value gets set properly because v_value[1] is actually '2'.

Actually if this is reliable across models we could use it to scale actual input/output voltages respectively

> I went ahead and changed the 230V nominal to 240V.
Thats a moot point. After European Harmonisation (UK was on 240V EU on
220V) they settled for 230V nominal but then defined tolerences of
+/-10% so that everyone suddenly "conformed" to the new regulations
without doing anything.  Whilst a lot of the UK is actually on 230V now
my current house is still on 240V. Looked very strange on my main
BestPower and Riello UPS RRD graphs as they show the +10V step change in
measured voltage.

Having said all that the BestPower delivers 240V and the Riello 230V
(adjustable). The Tripp Lite says 240V on the box and is
delivering that as its ONLINE nominal output (but drops to <200V on battery
power given its a budget UPS).
n>
> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/commit/f61edb5161de97944074867832edc014323340b1
>
> If you want to rebuild the driver, let me know - even though yours seems to be from NUT 2.6.4, I doubt there will be any issues with building the 2.7.2+ Git version and dropping it in.

No problem. I just installed NUT 2.6.4 as that is the latest from debian (wheezy) and it happens to be running from CF on an SBC - but I have the src and toolchain on the box so no reason why I couldnt rebuild it.
regards
Dave