[Nut-upsuser] Problem with ups-dummy driver (repeater mode)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 01:47:45 UTC 2015

On Jan 2, 2015, at 8:15 PM, Jonathan Gammell <jon.gammell at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Thanks Charles,
>
> You're right that it should be "eaton1 at localhost". That was actually just a one-off mistake in making a simple example to post. The errors are the same even with the correct "@localhost". I will look into whether there's a backport to 12.04, as a race condition seems logical. I'm glad to hear that my use case should be supported though, as I was a little unsure.

So if you manually start the dummy-ups driver after the other two have connected to upsd, are there any other errors?

It is a reasonable use case, but as you can see, support is still evolving. We're open to feedback on ways to make this work better. Some thoughts for the third-generation dummy-ups driver are here, although you would most likely be interested in nutdrv-repeater: https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/94

Unfortunately, I don't see any PPAs with backports to 12.04 (precise) listed here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nut

Depending on how you feel about compiling your own binaries or packages, it is possible to mix-and-match certain components from different NUT versions. In particular, the latest upsdrvctl can easily launch drivers from the original Ubuntu package (the "maxretry" functionality is entirely contained within upsdrvctl), and you could divert the package's upsdrvctl binary so that the changes are not overwritten. Let us know if you would like to try that.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail