[Nut-upsuser] libusb drops connection to my Tripp Lite SMART500T1U

Steve Ballantyne steve.ballantyne at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 16:07:05 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 8, 2015 at 11:37 PM, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
> Although this tends to happen more with x86 systems and/or USB3, you might want to see if the disconnects are less frequent with a shorter or higher-quality USB cable.

The more I look into this ... the more I think that it's exclusively
Tripp-Lite weirdness!  There are some things that I explored as far as
this being a Raspberry Pi problem, or a Raspbian problem, or even a
Debian problem.  But any problems I could find out there have long
since been resolved with confirmed bug fixes.

I noticed there have been a few people over the years on the NUT list
that have other models of Tripp Lite and have had this same issue of
random disconnections.  So long as Tripp-Lite is not sharing their
code with us, I think this will remain a mystery.  At some point they
are going to *have* to either update their Linux binaries, or drop
them altogether.  The specific distributions that they support with
their proprietary software is loooong out of date.  Perhaps at that
point they will open source the code?

Also there seems to be some speculation (or perhaps you know for a
fact) that the Tripp Lite actually includes a serial to USB converter
inside of the device.  I have a stockpile of these awaiting
deployment.  Maybe I will open one and look inside.

Steve Ballantyne
Network Engineer
MCSE/MCDST; Novell CLA; LPIC-1; CTT+; A+; Network+; Linux+; Server+;
I-Net+; Security+; SonicWALL CSSA