[Nut-upsuser] persistent "low battery" condition

Graham Menhennitt graham at menhennitt.com.au
Tue Jan 13 01:15:54 UTC 2015

On 13/01/2015 00:39, Charles Lepple wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2015, at 11:48 PM, Graham Menhennitt
> <graham at menhennitt.com.au <mailto:graham at menhennitt.com.au>> wrote:
>
>>> The file drivers/usbhid-ups.c is looking for any of the following
>>> conditions to declare LB:
>>>
>>> • STATUS(LOWBATT)
>>> • STATUS(TIMELIMITEXP)
>>> • STATUS(SHUTDOWNIMM)
>>>
>>> The mapping to HID Path names will depend on the model, but
>>> STATUS(LOWBATT) can come from ...BelowRemainingCapacityLimit, which
>>> is 0 in both instances in your log. STATUS(TIMELIMITEXP) maps to
>>> ...RemainingTimeLimitExpired, which I don't see, and
>>> STATUS(SHUTDOWNIMM) would cause an ups.alarm message to show up in upsc.
>>>

>> I've done a bit more investigating. I added a diagnostic printf("%x",
>> ups_status) at the point where LB is set. It shows that it's
>> RemainingTimeLimitExpired that's causing the LB condition. Below is a
>> bit more of the driver log which shows RemainingTimeLimitExpired
>> changing to 1 and then back to 0 again. What does that variable mean?
> I still think the combination of override.battery.runtime.low and the
> ignorelb setting should get you the shutdown trigger you are looking
> for. You might also need to set pollfreq to a lower value than its
> default of 30 seconds, since the RemainingTimeLimit value is not
> requested during the Quick update every two seconds.

Thanks, Charles.

I've changed the usb.conf entry to be:

    [maxwell]
            driver = usbhid-ups
            port = auto
            ignorelb
            override.battery.charge.low = 5
            override.battery.runtime.low = 10

but I'm still getting the messages. They're much less frequent now -
maybe every few hours instead of every few minutes. It's not actually
causing a shutdown, so it's just the inconvenience of the messages. I
can try reducing the values above even more.

Thanks again for your help,
    Graham