[Nut-upsuser] Start up script fails

Melvin Call melvincall979 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 14:17:45 UTC 2015

Good morning all. I am on a different system with a different UPS, and I am
fighting a similar problem to the one I posted about yesterday, and again making
little headway.

This system is running Debian Wheezy and connected to an APC BackUPS ES550.
Starting things manually seems to go well, but my startup script fails, and
nothing is logged anywhere. This may not be a NUT question per se, but I don't
know where else to turn.

What works:
amdbox:/etc/nut# /sbin/upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.6.4
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.37 (2.6.4)
USB communication driver 0.32
Using subdriver: APC HID 0.95

amdbox:/etc/nut# /sbin/upsd
Network UPS Tools upsd 2.6.4
fopen /var/run/nut/upsd.pid: No such file or directory
listening on ::1 port 3493
listening on 127.0.0.1 port 3493
Connected to UPS [apc_es550]: usbhid-ups-apc_es550

amdbox:/etc/nut# upsc apc_es550 at localhost ups.status
OL

amdbox:/etc/nut# /sbin/upsmon
Network UPS Tools upsmon 2.6.4
fopen /var/run/nut/upsmon.pid: No such file or directory
UPS: apc_es550 at localhost (master) (power value 1)
Using power down flag file /tmp/killpower

amdbox:/etc/nut# /sbin/upsmon -c fsd
<system shuts down>

Restart the system and check the logs:
amdbox:/etc/nut# grep -i ups /var/log/syslog

That only shows entries related to the above activity, with nothing related to
the Debian installed start up scripts. ps shows nothing running:

amdbox:/etc/nut# ps -eF | grep '[u]ps'
root      2245     1  0 18968  3400   0 07:51 ?        00:00:00
/usr/sbin/cupsd -C /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Manually trying to start the service results in a "failed" message:
amdbox:/etc/nut# service nut-server start
[ ok ] Starting NUT - power devices information server and drivers:.

amdbox:/etc/nut# service ups-monitor start
[FAIL] Starting NUT - power device monitor and shutdown controller:
nut-client failed!

amdbox:/etc/nut# ps -eF | grep '[u]ps'
root      2245     1  0 18968  3400   0 07:51 ?        00:00:00
/usr/sbin/cupsd -C /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

The device seems to be seen and assigned the proper permissions:
amdbox:/etc/nut# ls -l /dev/bus/usb/003
total 0
crw-rw-r-T 1 root root 189, 256 Jan 31 07:51 001
crw-rw-r-T 1 root nut  189, 257 Jan 31 07:51 002

There is no other information provided, and there is nothing in the log to help
either. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to make this output some useful
information that I can use to further trouble-shoot the problem?

Thanks,
Melvin