[Nut-upsuser] Need help [OS X]

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 13:14:18 UTC 2015

On Jul 1, 2015, at 1:36 AM, Jeroen Vrijenhoek <pr0ductions at me.com> wrote:

> I run os x yosemite and found out about NUT tonight. I messed around with fink and macports but get stuck very soon.

If you want to try again with Fink or MacPorts, we can certainly try to help, but we would definitely need more details.

We're working on this, but nobody has had the time to package and test it. https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/126

> Does anyone have a step by step (written in "for dummies" format on how to get this all to work? Just looking for a PowerChute alternative that actually lets me control and monitor my UPS, not dealing with all this code stuff.

There is an old guide here: http://trac.networkupstools.org/projects/nut/wiki/NutOnMacOSX

I'm not sure if Yosemite supports that style of startup script, however. (This is part of the problem with the Fink and MacPorts packages - writing a generic startup script for a wide variety of OS X versions and NUT configurations is hard.) Also, the ACL/ACCEPT/REJECT part of that guide is out-of-date (it refers to a much earlier version of NUT).

This document is for openSUSE, but walks through the process in more detail, and has up-to-date access control configuration information: http://rogerprice.org/NUT.html

However, you mentioned PowerChute. As much as I would like to enlist your help in making NUT easier to use on OS X, I am wondering if you have an APC UPS, and if you might be better served by apcupsd: http://www.apcupsd.org (It has a Mac GUI monitor, and a DMG-based installer.) The main advantage of NUT is its support for non-APC hardware (now that apcupsd also has client-server networking), but that comes at the cost of platform-specific GUI support.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail