[Nut-upsuser] upsd: ERR ACCESS-DENIED with PowerWalker UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 16:20:38 UTC 2015

On Jul 3, 2015, at 8:45 AM, Sami Mäntysaari <sm at sami-mantysaari.com> wrote:

> /etc/hosts.allow:
> <code>
> # /etc/hosts.allow: list of hosts that are allowed to access the system.
> #                   See the manual pages hosts_access(5) and
> hosts_options(5).
> #
> # Example:    ALL: LOCAL @some_netgroup
> #             ALL: .foobar.edu EXCEPT terminalserver.foobar.edu
> #
> # If you're going to protect the portmapper use the name "rpcbind" for the
> # daemon name. See rpcbind(8) and rpc.mountd(8) for further information.
> #
>
> upsd : admin at localhost : ALLOW
> </code>

I started looking into this a bit more. There are a few debug statements we could add to the upsd source code, but to be honest, my personal preference is to use a kernel-level firewall and/or bind to the localhost interface, rather than use tcp_wrappers and hosts.allow.

By default, upsd will listen to localhost:3943 (unless you add additional LISTEN statements to upsd.conf, or compile in a different listening address). So commenting out the "upsd:..." line in /etc/hosts.allow should work.

If your upsd.conf had extra LISTEN statements, you will need to completely restart upsd (the "upsd -c reload" only works for basic configuration changes).

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail